Easter Lemon Tart
Do you know hat is the best in baking? That every time you bake something new it rarely turns out good for the first time. This happened to me with this Lemon Tart. Somehow I did not pay attention to step nr. 5 and 6 and forgot to lower the heat to 140°C (I left it at 180°C and you see the result 🙂 So in case you decide to bake this (actually very tasty) Lemon Tart, please stay focused all the time and follow the directions carefully. Last but not least, enjoy your Easter guys 🙂
- 5 medium eggs
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 100ml lemon juice (about 4 lemons), plus 2 tbsp zest
- 150ml double cream
- 120g butter, at room temperature
- 75g of powdered sugar
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- PASTRY: Pop the butter and icing sugar in a wide mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until creamy. Mix in two of the egg yolks. Add the flour and rub the ingredients together with your fingertips until you get a crumbly texture. Add 2 tablespoons of water and press it all together to form a ball of dough.
- Knead the pastry with your hands on a lightly floured surface for 1–2 minutes, until smooth and combined. Flatten the dough slightly, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the pastry into a 3mm-thick circle and lift into a 24cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Cut off any excess pastry by rolling the pin over the top edges of the tin, then take an offcut, roll it into a small ball and gently press it out to cover the base of the tart. Prick the base all over with a fork and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Remove the pastry case from the freezer, line with baking paper and fill with baking beans, taking care to push them out to the edges. Blind-bake for 20 minutes, until the edges begin to turn golden.
- Remove the baking paper and beans, then pop it back in to bake for 15–20 minutes, until golden and crisp all over. If the sides color too quickly, cover lightly with tin foil.
- Brush the inside of the pastry case with the remaining egg yolk and return to the oven for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to 140°C.
- LEMON FILLING: Make the lemon filling by whisking together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest for 1 minute. Whisk in the cream until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the tart case and bake for 30–35 minutes or until just set. Remove from the oven and leave for 1–2 hours to cool completely. Dust the edge of the tart with icing sugar, remove from the tin and serve.
If you like this recipe then you should definitely check out my Mr. Chocolate Brownie. Click here.