Papal cream cake or kremowka. – One of the best Polish desserts.
Papal cream cake or
And why the name papal cream cake?
According to Wikipedia, it all started back in 1999 when the pope John Paul II talked about his more favorite dessert. The one he ate as a kid in his hometown Wadowice. Yes, you guessed it right, it was the famous cream cake. (actually, that time it was called only –
Since then Polish people started to call it the papal –
What is the papal cream cake?
The papal cream cake is a Polish dessert made from French puff pastry and vanilla cream filling.
Other versions of the cake are made with whipped cream, vanilla custard, meringue filling or double cream filling. The cake is usually generously sprinkled with powdered sugar and sometimes poured over with sugar icing.
I actually love the version with two layers. It is a combination of the vanilla cream spiced up with a shot of Amaretto (the almond liquor) and the whipped cream.
And if you want to make them just check the recipe below.
How to make the
papal cream cake?
Papal cream cake – Polish dessertRecipe by tasteisyoursCourse: DessertCuisine: PolishDifficulty: Easy
Papal cream cake made with vanilla and whipped cream filling.
500ml of milk
200g of caster sugar
1 tsp of vanilla sugar
1 tbsp of butter
20-40 ml of Amaretto liquor (*optional)
6 egg yolks
pinch of salt
4 spoons of cornstarch
500ml heavy cream (at least with 36% fat)
1 tbsp of sugar
50g of powdered sugar
2 puff pastry sheets
- Bake the puff pastry according the instructions on the package. Set aside.
- Heat up 400ml of milk and add the regular and the vanilla sugar into it. Bring to boil and then lower the heat to low.
- Meanwhile, mix the leftover 100ml milk with the Amaretto and the egg yolks. Add the cornstarch one tablespoon at the time and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot milk and stir constantly. After a while a the cream should start to thicken. Once it does, turn the heat off and set the cream aside to cool down completely.
- Beat the heavy cream to whipped cream. *optionally you can add 1 tbsp of sugar at the end to make it bit sweeter.
- Place 1 baked puff pastry sheet on a flat surface and pour on the vanilla cream. Then add the whipped cream on top and cover with the second puff pastry sheet.
- Place the cake into to the fridge for at least one hour.
- Dust the top with the powdered sugar and cut into squares.
- You can keep the cake in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing the cake is not recommended.
Recipe Card plugin by WPZOOM
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Meet the Author
Life is great, cheese makes it better...
Hi, my name is Jan and I am the creator of Taste Is Yours. A food blog were I share my most favorite recipes and food related stories...Learn more
* You will receive the latest news and updates once a new recipe goes live!