White quinoa sushi.
Sushi is a very traditional Japanese dish mostly made with white rice and some kind of veggies (in a non-vegan world it is combined with veggies and fish).
I always respect the cuisines and dishes which I am cooking. But this time I have decided to experiment a bit more and break the rules. I have exchanged the white rice for white quinoa. I am not saying that white rice is bad, but white quinoa is definitely better. 🙂 Thanks to this step, the sushi got healthier, and it also got a nice crunchy texture from the quinoa.
And you know why this recipe is so awesome? Because it tastes the best when your quinoa is overcooked. So next time your quinoa turns out sticky and mushy stay positive, there is a way out 🙂 Just use your overcooked quinoa in sushi 🙂
White quinoa sushi rolls [VeGaN]
White quinoa sushi rolls [VeGaN]Danie: Dinners, Small bites, VeGaN mealsKuchnia: JapaneseStopień trudności: Średni
4-5 nori sheets
1 cup white quinoa
2 cups water
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
2 ripe avocados
1 medium cucumber
1 medium carrot
2 tablespoons of VeGaN mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of non-dairy cream cheese
1 teaspoon of wasabi paste
100g of hard tofu
1 red bell pepper
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Place the quinoa into a fine mesh colander and rinse under running water for 30 seconds. Combine the quinoa and water in a pot (or a saucepan) and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and cook the quinoa uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is well cooked. When the quinoa is done, remove it from the heat, cover it, and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes. Then stir in the rice vinegar and the maple syrup. Let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, the quinoa is cooking, prepare your vegetables. Peel the carrot and the cucumber and cut them into thicker matchsticks. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and cut it into stripes. Deseed the red bell pepper and sliced it into thin slices.
- Cut the tofu into a 1x1cm rectangle shape and roast until golden on 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Place a nori sheet on a bamboo mat and place about 2/3 cup of quinoa in the center of the nori sheet. Wet the tips of your fingers (you may wish to have a bowl of cool water nearby for this purpose) and press/spread the quinoa into a thin layer – working towards the edges of the sheet, leaving about 2,5cm (1 inch) of sheet remaining on the edge farthest from you.
- Maki roll without tofu: Spread some cream cheese and a pinch of wasabi paste on the nori and then add a thin row of cucumber, carrot, and avocado slices on top. Use a bamboo mat to roll the sushi roll.
- Maki roll with tofu: Spread some mayonnaise and a pinch of wasabi paste on the nori and then add a thin row of red pepper slices or cucumbers on top. Use a bamboo mat to roll the sushi roll.
- Set sushi roll aside and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Once all ingredients are used, slice the sushi rolls into evenly sized pieces and serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.