Kaszanka (Ca-shan-ca), a Polish black pudding, is a unique and flavorful sausage made from pig’s blood, groats (usually buckwheat or barley), and sometimes pig’s liver. It’s a traditional dish, often prepared after the pig sticking to use all parts of the pig.
It’s rich in flavor and nutrients like iron and zinc but also high in fat and cholesterol. Here’s a simple way to prepare and enjoy Kaszanka.
Tips for the Best Kaszanka
- Quality Matters: For the best experience, opt for high-quality Kaszanka from a local butcher or Polish store.
- Slow and Steady Cooking: Cook the Kaszanka on medium heat to avoid burning while allowing the flavors to meld.
- Add a Twist: For a variation, try grilling the Kaszanka or baking it with apples and onions for a different flavor profile.
How to Pair Kaszanka
- Serve with a side of sauerkraut or pickled vegetables.
- Pair with a hearty rye bread and a robust beer.
- For a lighter meal, accompany with a fresh green salad.
- SWEET POTATO PUREE: A QUICK AND TASTY SIDE DISH
- OVEN-BAKED SWEET POTATO WEDGES: A CRUNCHY DELIGHT
- POLISH-STYLE SWEET POTATO SALAD WITH A TWIST
- SWEET POTATO STEW WITH CHILI PEPPERS AND COCONUT MILK
- AUTHENTIC POLISH ZUPA ZIEMNIACZANA (POTATO SOUP) RECIPE
u003cstrongu003eWhat is Kaszanka made of?u003c/strongu003e
u003ca href=u0022https://tasteisyours.com/recipe-for-making-kaszanka-polish-black-pudding/u0022u003eKaszankau003c/au003e is made from pig’s blood, groats (buckwheat or barley), and sometimes pig’s liver.
u003cstrongu003eHow long should I cook Kaszanka?u003c/strongu003e
Fry it with onions for a few minutes until slightly melted and well combined.
u003cstrongu003eCan Kaszanka be eaten cold?u003c/strongu003e
Yes, it can be served cold, but it’s usually enjoyed grilled or fried.
u003cstrongu003eWhere can I find Kaszanka?u003c/strongu003e
In Poland, it’s widely available in grocery stores. Outside of Poland, look in Polish or international cuisine stores.
u003cstrongu003eIs Kaszanka healthy?u003c/strongu003e
While it’s rich in iron and zinc, it also contains high levels of fat and cholesterol and should be eaten in moderation.