Pho Bo – a classic veganized.
Hi, and welcome back to Taste Is Yours.
I am very happy that you came back as I will share with you another great recipe which I “veganized”. Today It will be a classic Vietnamese soup. Usually, it is made from beef bones broth, noodles, spices and thinly sliced beef meat. As I am still having my vegan days, I had to change the recipe and veganize it. And the result? A wonderful soup full of flavors great for cold autumn days. The soup is cooked in 30 minutes and serves 4 portions.
The best Pho Bo – a classic veganized.
The best Pho Bo – a classic veganized.Course: Dinners, Lunches, Recipe book, VeGaN mealsCuisine: VietnameseDifficulty: Easy
2pcs of star anise
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1L of vegetable bouillon
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, julienned
2 small carrots, julienned
250g of shiitake mushrooms stems removed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 green onions, sliced thin (I like to slice them at a 45-degree angle)
2 small baby bok choy, sliced lengthwise into quarters
sea salt and pepper
250g of cooked rice noodles
250g of tofu, diced into 2cm cubes
lime slices from 1/2 of lime
bunch of fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Heat up a pot and dry roast the star anise, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Stir for about 30 seconds and let the spices to relieve the aromas.
- Add the vegetable bouillon, onion, garlic, and ginger. Cover with the lid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, and green onions. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the bok choy. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat up 1 spoon of vegetable oil in a pan and add the diced tofu. Bake from all the sides until golden.
- Place the cooked rice noodles into the bowls, then pour over with the pho. Put the baked tofu, bean sprouts, chopped coriander leaves, lime slices, and sriracha (it will add a nice spiciness) on top and serve.
- Enjoy 🙂