Polish red cabbage salad or “surówka z czerwonej kapusty” is a very common dish on our table. I make it several times throughout the year on casual Sundays, birthdays, or at the beginning of autumn.
That’s the period when red cabbage is already fully grown and harvested.
You might be interested:
And I just like to eat it with my favorite autumn dish which is oven-roasted duck tights with easy potato pancakes or “lokše” in Slovak.
Nevertheless, since I live in Poland red cabbage salad is often eaten on Sunday lunches with Polish “schabowy” or other types of roasted meat.
The Polish red cabbage salad recipe is very easy and will take only a few minutes.
And how can you make the polish red cabbage salad?
Surówka z czerwonej kapusty – Polish red cabbage salad recipe.Course: Recipe bookCuisine: PolishDifficulty: Easy
1 medium head of red cabbage
1 smaller onion
A handful of fresh dill
1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional ingredients – smaller apple, 1 medium carrot
- Cut the red cabbage in half, remove the white middle part (root) and chop finely the rest.
- Chop finely the onion and grate the apple and carrot if used.
- Place everything into a bigger bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, mix well until everything is well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can store the polish red cabbage salad in a fridge for up to 3 days.
- The apple cider vinegar is more gentle in taste than the regular vinegar so feel free to add more if needed.