Easy Polish cold beetroot soup (chlodnik) to serve during hot summer
Traditional Polish cold beetroot soup, chlodnik which you shouldn’t be afraid to serve during hot summer season
Although this dish originates in Lithuania (sometimes it is called Lithuanian cold soup “in Polish – Litewski Chlodnik”) it has a very long history in Poland. During the Jagiellonian era between 14-16 century, many people were traveling between both countries. They were not only exchanging traditions but also recipes. The dish was most popular during hot summer days, where people wanted to cool down. Thanks to its fine taste it was eaten not only in peasant houses but it also appeared on aristocratic tables.
The first recipe was published in a cookbook called Lithuanian Kitchen (“Kucharka Litewska”) already in 1854 and was written by Wincenta Zawadzka. But this was not the first time when this dish appeared in a book. In 1834 a famous Polish author (who also lived in Vilnius, Lithuania for several years) Adam Miczkiewicz mentioned the cold beetroot soup in his “Pan Tadeusz” book.
The recipe itself is very easy and the preparation doesn’t take a lot of time. And I believe that you will like the taste as well 🙂
Polish cold beetroot soup (chlodnik) to serve during hot summer season
Polish cold beetroot soup (chlodnik) to serve during hot summerPrzepis autorstwa tasteisyoursDanie: Dinners, Lunches, Recipe bookKuchnia: PolskaStopień trudności: Łatwe
3-4 young beetroots with leaves
0,5L of vegetable bouillion
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
bunch of radishes
1 medium-sized cucumber
bunch of chives
bunch of fresh dills
2 cloves of garlic
750ml of buttermilk
salt & pepper to taste
For serving: 4 halved hardboiled eggs, finely chopped dill, thinly sliced radish, 2-3 tablespoons of buttermilk
- Peel the beetroots and cut into small cubes. Also, cut the stalks and the leaves. Place into a pot and pour over with the vegetable bouillon. Bring to boil and then lower the heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes. Or until the beetroots are soft. Once cooked, add the lemon juice and let it cool down completely.
- Meanwhile, peel the cucumber and cut into small cubes. Cut the radishes into cubes as well and mince the garlic. Chop the chives and the dill. Add all these ingredients into cold beetroot soup, pour over with the buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir well and transfer the soup to the fridge. Let it cool for 1-2 hours.
- Serving proposal: serve the soup in a bowl and place the halved eggs on top. You can add one tablespoon of buttermilk on top and sprinkle with the chopped dill and sliced radish.
- Smacznego 🙂
Witryna wykorzystuje Akismet, aby ograniczyć spam. Dowiedz się więcej jak przetwarzane są dane komentarzy.
Życie jest wspaniałe, wino czyni je lepszym...
Hi, my name is Jan and I am the creator of Taste Is Yours. A food blog were I share my most favorite recipes and food related stories...Learn more
* You will receive the latest news and updates once a new recipe goes live!