Authentic Zapiekanka recipe – one of the best and fastest Polish dishes.
Polish food culture is one of the most variable and creative I’ve ever tried. There are many dishes that are finger-licking good but not so know to the public. If you hear Polish food you probably have in mind dishes like pierogi, bigos or maybe cakes like Karpatka or Kremowka. But there is so much more. I can tell you. 🙂
One of the dishes like that is zapiekanka. An open-faced sandwich baked in the oven, filled with mushrooms and topped with yellow cheese and a lot of ketchup. Zapiekanka is very popular not only as a very fast dish you can make at home but also as street food. In Krakow for example you can find one of the best ones at Kazimierz or a place called Okroglak.
Recommended for you:The best Polish recipes you simply have to try.
The preparation and cooking takes just a few minutes and you can serve it during casual movie night, a summer party or other special occasion.
If you think this dish is also healthy I have to warn you, it is not. The amount of cheese and ketchup on top makes this dish more like comfort food you can eat once in while than a healthy one you can have 3-4 times per week.
I usually make it when I am out of options, don’t feel cooking, and have some leftover food in the fridge. The basic zapiekanka is made from a French baguette and topped with sauteed mushrooms and grated yellow cheese.
Other popular toppings are:
- caramelized onions
- rocket salad
- mozzarella cheese
- spring onions
- avocado or guacamole
- smoked cheese
- bell pepper
- chicken meat
Authentic Polish zapiekanka recipe:
Authentic Zapiekanka recipe – one of the best and fastest Polish dishes.Przepis autorstwa tasteisyoursCourse: Recipe bookCuisine: PolishDifficulty: Easy
French baguette (regular size)
10 pieces of champignon mushrooms, sliced
Ketchup of your choice
Grated yellow cheese – gouda, ementaler
1 tbsp of olive oil
- Heat up a pan on high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot enough add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5-6 minutes stirring only once at the half time. You can also season the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 200°C (or on the highest grill setting)
- Cut the baguette lengthwise and push in the middle slightly with your fingers. This way the filling will stay inside and not fall off the top.
- Once the mushrooms are ready place them on top of the baguette slices and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts completely. Serve hot with a good drizzle of the ketchup. Enjoy 🙂
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Meet the Author
Life is great, wine makes it better...
Hi, my name is Jan and I am the creator of Taste Is Yours. A food blog were I share my most favorite recipes and food related stories...Learn more
* You will receive the latest news and updates once a new recipe goes live!