Savor the heart and soul of Polish comfort food with these Easy Vegan Polish Potato Pancakes (Placki Ziemniaczane). This recipe offers a delightful vegan twist on the traditional favorite, preserving the authenticity of flavor while catering to plant-based dietary preferences.
Tips for Perfect Vegan Potato Pancakes
- Potato Choice: Use starchy potatoes like Russets or Yukon Golds for the best texture.
- Squeeze Out Excess Moisture: After grating the potatoes, squeeze out as much liquid as possible to ensure crisp pancakes.
- Uniform Thickness: Shape the pancakes to an even thickness for consistent cooking.
- Hot and Steady Pan: Cook in a well-heated non-stick pan to achieve a golden-brown crust without sticking.
Best Herbs and Spices for Potato Pancakes
- Fresh dill or parsley for a herby touch.
- Garlic powder or minced fresh garlic for depth.
- A pinch of smoked paprika for a subtle smoky hint.
- Salt and pepper for basic seasoning.
How to Make Potato Pancakes Crisp
- Use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Cook at medium-high heat to crisp the outside while keeping the inside tender.
- Avoid flipping them too early; wait until a golden crust forms.
How to Pair Vegan Potato Pancakes:
- Serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream or applesauce.
- Pair with a fresh green salad or steamed vegetables for a balanced meal.
- They also work great as a side dish with vegan stews or soups.
- SWEET POTATO PUREE: A QUICK AND TASTY SIDE DISH
- OVEN-BAKED SWEET POTATO WEDGES: A CRUNCHY DELIGHT
- POLISH-STYLE SWEET POTATO SALAD WITH A TWIST
- SWEET POTATO STEW WITH CHILI PEPPERS AND COCONUT MILK
- AUTHENTIC POLISH ZUPA ZIEMNIACZANA (POTATO SOUP) RECIPE
I don’t know anything about your Saturday from childhood but mine looked like this.
I woke up at 10 am and the first thing I had to do was to clean up.
Firstly, I cleaned the dust from the furniture and then vacuumed the whole house. Sometimes I even clean the glasses and mirrors like a good boy 🙂 But what made my Saturdays so special and unforgettable (besides not going to school) was all sorts of yummy dishes. Like potato pancakes for example 🙂 I just loved their smell which was spreading from room to room and also I loved eating them while they were still super hot. I still eat them the same way, even today, 20 years later 🙂 The only difference is in the cooking process. I learned how to make them without eggs (vegan version) but still managed to keep the full taste as they would be the ones from my childhood. And today I will share the recipe with you. Enjoy it 🙂
And what about your Saturdays? Were you also cleaning or you had other rituals? Let me know in a comment below 🙂 Ciao.
Can I make these pancakes gluten-free?
Yes, just substitute the all-purpose flour with your favorite gluten-free flour blend.
How do I store leftovers?
Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan for the best texture.
Can I add other vegetables to the mix?
Yes, grated carrots or zucchini can be a great addition. Just make sure to squeeze out their moisture too.
What’s the key to getting these pancakes crispy?
Remove as much moisture as possible from the potatoes and cook in a hot pan with enough oil.
Are these potato pancakes kid-friendly?
Absolutely! They are a hit with kids and can be a fun way to introduce them to plant-based dishes.